Summer 2018 Jump Start Information
Would you like to sharpen your skills in mathematics? Would you like to increase your chance of success in college math courses?
For students whose math skills are a little rusty, The Department of Mathematics offers Jump Start.
Jump Start is a faster paced program for students who took the Math Placement exam and scored just under the acceptable score for entrance into MAT 1093 or 1214.
|JumpStart Dates||Deadline to Register in ASAP||Register for Campus Housing||Get Parking for Event|
|June 19-21||June 9||E-mail Testing Services by deadline with housing request||Go to Parking website and pay for parking permit. Look for camp link.|
|July 10-12||June 20||E-mail Testing Services by deadline with housing request||Go to Parking website and pay for parking permit|
|July 24-26||July 17||E-mail Testing Services by deadline with housing request||Go to Parking website and pay for parking permit|
|August 7-9||July 31||E-mail Testing Services by deadline with housing request||Go to Parking website and pay for parking permit|
Math Jump Start is led by our Math faculty, and their goal is to prepare participants for success in their future math courses, not to simply pass a test. The knowledge that needs to be built or refreshed with the participants will be cemented during their time with the Jump Start faculty.
- 2 1/2-day intense mathematics refresher
- Improve your skills in Algebra and Pre-Calculus
- Small group and individual instruction
- Take the second-attempt Math Placement exam to potentially place into Pre-Calculus Or Calculus I
- Save money and speed up time to graduation
- Watch what actual students are saying:
Historically, over 50% of participants who have begun with a placement of MAT 1073 on the initial Math Placement exam have improved by at least one course level (often by two course levels) into MAT 1214 through Jump Start.
What you need:
IMPORTANT: You must complete the Rules and Emergency Contacts form prior to picking up your keys for housing.
- A score from the first-attempt UTSA Mathematics Placement exam.
- Prior registration on ASAP for the event.
- Housing on campus most dates at $25 to 30 per night (see more information)
- Money for food on your own.
Jump Start Day One:
Days 1 and 2
- Instruction 9:00 am to 12:00 noon
- Instruction 1:00-5:00 pm
- Instruction/ Review
- Retest opportunity on the Math Placement exam
On the initial UTSA Pre-Calculus/Calculus Placement Exam:
|If your score on the first 38 questions was Then you placed in|
|15- 20||MAT 1023,1033,1043,STA 1043,or 1053*|
|27+||and 8 or more from the last 12 MAT 1214|