- Students who take and successfully pass a Competency-Based Exam will receive credit in the course for which the exam was taken. The grade of “CR” will not be included in the UTSA grade point average, but the hours for the course will contribute to overall hours taken and count toward the minimum UTSA residence requirements.
- Students admitted provisionally and other special admit students must refer to their advising area prior to attempting any credit-by-exam process, as those hours may not qualify for hour completion in that program.
- Students may not retake the same Competency-Based Exam subject.
Competency-Based Exams (CBE) Accepted for Course Credit at UTSA
|Course||Test Name||Scoring Scale|
|CS 3343||Computer Sciences||Credit/No Credit|
|CS 3723||Computer Sciences||Credit/No Credit|
|CS 3853||Computer Sciences||Credit/No Credit|
|POL 1133||Texas Politics and Society||10 out of 20 correct with a score of 5 achieved on AP American Government or a course letter grade of an "A" in POL 1013 or equivalent course.|
|POL 1133||Texas Politics and Society||12 out of 20 correct with a score of 4 achieved on AP American Government exam or a course letter grade of "B" in POL 1013 or equivalent course.|
|POL 1133||Texas Politics and Society||15 out of 20 correct with a score of 3 achieved on AP American Government exam or a course letter grade of "C" In POL 1013 or equivalent course.|
|WRC 1013||Competency Portfolio Option||Credit/ No Credit|
|WRC 1023||Competency Portfolio Option||Credit/No Credit|
|WRC 1013 & WRC 1023||Competency Portfolio Option||Credit/No Credit|
These requirements must be met prior to attempting the Competency Portfolio Option:
- The student must be a Junior or Senior who has written papers for their major/degree requirements.
- The student has not been able to register for Freshman Composition I or II.
Contact the Writing Program for further details at (210) 458-5363.
**Texas Politics and Society Requirement
Students must be eligible for AP credit for American Government or have college credit for POL 1013 (Introduction to American Politics) or equivalent course prior to
attempting the Competency-Based Exam. Students who earned a score of 1 or 2 on the AP American Government exam are not eligible to take the Competency-Based Exam.
Any examinee who normally receives special accommodations for testing must notify UTSA Testing Services prior to the exam so that staff can coordinate and confirm the arrangements with the UTSA Student Disability Services office.
Competency-Based Exam Online Registration
- Competency-Based Exams are available only to enrolled UTSA students.
- The fee for Competency-Based Exams is $80 per subject. This fee must be paid in person at the Fiscal Services Office. All fees are subject to change.
Register online by logging into ASAP.