Who needs to take the TSIA2?
Not all students entering higher education need to take the TSIA2. There are many ways a student can be exempt, meaning they do not need to take the TSIA2 and can enroll in any freshman-level college course without required support.
TSI exemptions are subject-specific, which means a student may qualify for an exemption in one area (such as ELAR) but not in another area (such as Mathematics). If you meet any of the criteria below, you may be exempt from one or both areas of the TSIA2. Contact your college adviser to confirm. Undergraduate students who enter without an exemption are required to take the Texas Success Initiative Assessment 2.0 (TSIA2).
- ACT®: combined score of 23 with a minimum of 19 on English and Mathematics within the past 5 years ~OR~
- SAT® (Administered prior to March 2016): combined score of 1070 with a minimum of 500 on Critical Reading and Mathematics within the past 5 years ~OR~
- SAT® (Administered on or after March 5, 2016): minimum of 530 on Mathematics for exemption in TSI Math; minimum of 480 on Evidenced-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) for exemption in TSI Reading and Writing ~OR~
- Eleventh grade exit-level TAKS minimum scale score of 2200 on Math, 2200 on English Language Arts, and a Writing subsection score of at least 3 within the past 5 years ~OR~
- STAAR® minimum score of 4000 on English III-Level 2 end of course (EOC) and a minimum score of 4000 on Algebra II-Level 2 EOC ~OR~
- You have satisfactorily completed college-level coursework as determined by the receiving institution. ~OR~
- You have earned an associate or baccalaureate degree from a college. ~OR~
- You are enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less at a public college or public technical institute. ~OR~
- You are serving on active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Texas National Guard, or as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States and have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment. ~OR~
- On or after August 1, 1990, you were honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States. ~OR~
- You completed a College Preparatory Course (CPC) in high school and are enrolling within 24 months from the date of high school graduation (see your adviser for additional requirements regarding this exemption). ~OR~
- You have received a temporary ESOL Waiver granted by the college after demonstrating limited English proficiency.
Please register for the new PAA Portal at https://practice.accuplacer.org/login and follow the instructions below to complete the PAA.
“Please select UTSA in the institution and it is critical to the uploading of your completion that students indicate their UTSA ID, the ABC123 or the banner ID (double check it for accuracy).